Tuesday 8 August 2017

Social Learning Theory and VoiceThread

The VoiceThread lesson I created was about Employee vs Entrepreneur. VoiceThread help “students engage with and develop the Super 4Cs skills of the 21st century, namely critical thinking, collaboration, creativity and communication (Kivunja, 2015, para. 1). I created a VoiceThread for seventh-grade students who are frequently absents. The learning outcomes for the lesson are: (1) At least 80% of all students will define the terms: entrepreneurship, employee, and entrepreneur August 1 and August 30 of this year. (2) At least 80% of all students will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of becoming an entrepreneur with no more than two errors. (3) At least 80% of all students will differentiate between entrepreneur and employee with no more than two errors. The lesson goal is reinforced, and aim to teach content to absent students. Students will process the content using graphic organizer and KWL chart. I love how VoiceThread gives the opportunity to elicit and solicit feedback. Using VoiceThread in my classroom will help improve my lesson, encourage diverse network, and promote positive change in the school. VoiceThread encourage “collaboration among learners and with practitioners in the society” (Orey, 2001, para. 17).  Since many of my colleagues had no experience in using VoiceThread, I decided to share this awesome technology tool in the next staff meeting. One helpful suggestion made by one of my colleagues was to teach my students VoiceThread so they share their insight about the lesson. My colleague’s comments were as follows:

Colleague A - Great tool. I would love to use VoiceThread in my classroom. The variety of activities you used to differentiate instruction using VoiceThread is amazing. Specifically, I like how you post the video for your learners to post their thoughts. I would use Voice Thread to communicate outside the classroom with my students.

Colleague B - VoiceThread is so user-friendly, and ideal for my linguistic learners. I would definition use VoiceThread to communicate with learners across the global on topics pertaining to my subject. I could also display pictures for students to practice vocabulary by identifying object.

The URL is https://voicethread.com/share/9408287/.

References

Kivunja, C. (2015). The efficacy of social media technologies in academia: A pedagogical bliss or digital fad? International Journal of Higher Education, 4 (4), pp. 33-44. Retrieved from https://eric.ed.gov/?id=EJ1074174
Orey, M. (Ed.). (2001). Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://epltt.coe.uga.edu/index.php?title=Social_Constructivism 

Appendix

Twitter sources 

In this week’s discussion the scholarly source I located said “
increase rapport building with students, leading to more just and equitable interactions” (Kattari, 2015, p. 375).

            In this week’s discussion the popular source I located said “Learning is a cognitive process that takes place in a social context through observation” (Hatcher, 2015, para. 3).

In this week’s discussion the retweet popular sources I located said there are many ways in which human beings learn. One of the most effective ways is by watching, observing, and modeling others, and this is known as social learning theory” (Gilston, 2017).

No comments:

Post a Comment